Get the Skills to Become a Health and Nutrition Education Professional
13-Month* Online Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education Degree
You’ve worked hard to develop a deep understanding of health and nutrition, and now it’s time to share that knowledge with others; but how can you reach people in a way that leads to real change in their behavior and life? Whether it’s through lectures, writing, teaching, researching, manufacturing health products, or operating a health food store, you can get the skills to excel as an educator with the Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education (MHNE) Degree program at Hawthorn University.
The MHNE Degree program is delivered in a two-pronged approach; you’ll learn extensive, science-based nutrition as well as effective communication skills that allow you to explain complex information so that others can understand it. You’ll also gain an understanding of the environment of nutrition education, strategies for nutrition educators, holistic health coaching, and health-supportive food guidelines and nutrition. Learn all of this in a guided study format that’s entirely online.
Next Start Date: Jan 3rdMaster of Science in Health & Nutrition Education (MHNE) Hawthorn University - Hawthorn University
The best way to see if Hawthorn University is the right fit for you is to contact an admissions advisor. Get more information on the Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education Degree program, the online learning format, and pay-as-you-go options so that you can make an informed decision about your future. Get More Info.
Become Qualified in Health and Nutrition Education
One of the goals of this program is to prepare you to become well-versed in the field of holistic nutrition education. As a student, you’ll acquire a broad body of knowledge that will help you in your career; evaluating and synthesizing the major literature, theories, practices, problems and ethical issues in holistic nutrition education, as well as demonstrating professional skills in holistic health and wellness promotion.
During the 37-credit Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education degree program you’ll learn:
- Nutrition and the Environment
- Strategies for Health & Nutrition Educators
- Human Physiology & Anatomy
- Understanding Macronutrients & Micronutrients
- Research Methods in Health Education
- Health Supportive Food Guidelines
- Holistic Health Coaching
- Healthy Life Cycles
- Balancing Energy & Weight
- The Business of Health & Nutrition Education
- And More!
This program includes a thesis, allowing you the opportunity to do a deep dive into a topic that interests and intrigues you.
Is a Future in Holistic Health & Nutrition Right for You? Find Out! Take the Hawthorn University “Holistic Nutrition Career Training Readiness Quiz”
This fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Holistic Nutrition Career Training Readiness score now.
Certification Makes You Credible
As a graduate of the MHNE program, you are eligible to sit for the board certification exam from the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board (HNCB). Becoming certified can open doors to employment as it proves you underwent thorough training and were able to demonstrate your knowledge – earning the highest level of professional recognition in the holistic nutrition industry.
The Convenience of Online Learning
This program is divided into twelve courses. Courses are uniquely designed to facilitate your learning through lectures that include dynamic interviews with professionals, original articles from Hawthorn University, and textbook readings. You are given practical exercises to ground the learning. An instructor approved thesis/research project is required for graduation.
As a student, you’ll purchase books that comprise the basis of a professional library and are introduced to quality online sources of nutritional information. After completing assigned textbooks readings, listening to the audio lectures, experiencing the practical activities and submitting written assignments to an instructor, you’ll take an online exam before progressing to the next course. Assignments are graded and returned to your website with written feedback.
You can interact with other students by posting questions and comments to the message boards and via email. You can email or call your instructor during their weekly office hours for individual attention and questions. In addition, technical support is available via the Help Desk.
Stay Current With Expert-Led Live Webinars
You have the option to meet with other students via webinars where live lectures on current nutrition topics are presented. The webinar lectures are also archived on the student website so that students can access and review these lectures at a later date. Webinars are held every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 4 PM PST / 7 PM EST.
Reasonable Tuition & Fees
The program consists of 12 courses (37 credits) which are needed to graduate. You may pay by the course and payment is due upon enrollment into the course. Tuition must be paid in U.S. currency, by check, money order, or credit card.
Regular tuition and fees for the MHNE program are:
- $60.00 – Application fee (non-refundable)
- $9,250.00 – 37 credits @ $250.00 per credit
- $250.00 Midterm and Final Examinations @ $125.00 each
- $9,560.00 * Total
For a detailed list of other University fees: Click Here
Courses are released upon receipt of payment. Once the course is completed,
you are ready to advance by requesting the next course.
Textbooks That Form the Basis of a Professional Library
The cost of textbooks are not included in the quoted tuition (refer to the chart below for estimated prices). Students may purchase textbooks directly from the publishers and are given suggestions on how to find discounted books and online resources.
Here is a course by course breakdown of the estimated cost of your textbooks and other required materials for each course and for the entire program. Prices are from amazon.com unless otherwise indicated. Tuition and book prices are subject to change.
Estimated Textbook Cost (rounded to the nearest dollar)
Total Tuition and Estimated Textbook Cost
|Graduation Fee (Domestic)||$75.00|
|Total Textbook Cost (estimated)||$858.00|
|Midterm and Final Examinations||$250.00|
|Total Tuition Cost||$9,250.00|
|*Students who do not complete their thesis in the allotted time frame must register to continue at ½ the cost ($500.00) to maintain matriculation.|
Health and Nutrition Educators Are Needed to Fill Many Roles
Upon successful completion of the MHNE program you should be able to:
- Provide and manage health education programs that help individuals, families, and their communities
- Maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles
- Collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing; monitoring, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies, and environments
- Serve as a resource to assist individuals, other health professionals, or the community, and administer fiscal resources for health education programs
- Develop and present health education and promotion programs, such as training workshops, conferences, and school or community presentations
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with agencies and organizations interested in public health care
- Develop educational materials and programs for community agencies, local government, and state government
- Prepare and distribute health education materials, such as reports, bulletins, and visual aids, to address public health concerns
- Supervise professional and technical staff in implementing health programs, objectives, and goals
- Plan programs to address community health issues
- Present social services program information to the public
- Develop working relationships with others to facilitate program activities
- Provide educational materials to community members
- Follow the “Scope of Practice” and “Code of Ethics” for nutritionists as described by the National Association of Nutrition Professionals
Extensive Career Prospects
Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education graduates can go on to become:
- Health and nutrition educators in private practice
- Authors of health-oriented publications
- Health maintenance program group leaders
- Lecturers for professional groups, lay audiences, or schools
- Nutritional supplement or health product manufacturers
- Managers of health food stores
- Leaders in nutrition centers, spas, and retreat centers
The field of nutrition is growing as more people seek complementary and holistic approaches to wellness; there are many opportunities for you to engage in following graduation.
Is a Rewarding Career in Health and Nutrition Education Right For You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about Health and Nutrition Education and exploring if this is the right career path for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.
For immediate questions, call 707-986-4153
Learn about admission requirements for the MHNE program.
View the sample program agreement.
*Program length when students take multiple classes at once. See the “Flexible Completion Rate” paragraph for more details.