How to Apply for Degree and Certificate Programs
Applicants are responsible for completing an admissions interview and for
submitting the following information.
- Complete application.
- A $60 application fee (non-refundable).
- Doctoral applicants must submit two (2) professional letters of recommendation.
- Doctoral applicants submit a copy of their curriculum vitae or resume.
- A copy of your driver’s license or government issued ID.
- A recent headshot photo of yourself.
- Official transcript from previous institution submitted directly from the school to the Hawthorn University, PO Box 275, Whitethorn, CA 95589, or [email protected]
- A 500-1000 word personal statement including:
- Your future goals and reasons for wanting to attend Hawthorn University.
- A personal or professional achievement that made you feel empowered or proud. This experience may be a significant challenge that you faced in your life and how you overcame it.
- The ways you will manage responsibilities to allow the time and energy necessary to succeed in the program including the number of hours you can devote to your studies per day or per week.
Applicants are notified of the enrollment decision by email. Matriculating applicants are required to review and sign a digital Program Enrollment Agreement and a Fact Sheet. Non-matriculating applicants digitally sign a Fact Sheet and are required to sign a Course Enrollment Agreement when the course is requested.
Upon the Registrar’s receipt of the above documentation, applicants will be officially enrolled in Hawthorn University’s orientation course. This short online orientation must be completed before a course is released to the student. Orientation guides students through a personal online learning portal and assists in gaining familiarity with the learning process at Hawthorn.
Applications and deposits are held for one full year from the date submitted.
Program Specific Admission Requirements
Find out how to enroll in your program of interest. Review how many transfer credits could apply to your certificate or degree program.
How to Apply as a Non-Matriculating Student
Applicants not matriculating for a degree or certificate who are interested in taking individual courses for personal or professional advancement enter the University as a non-matriculating student and fill out an application. No application fee is charged. Program admission requirements apply. For example, applicants who want to enroll in a master’s level course must show proof of an earned bachelor’s degree and submit photo ID.
Should a non-matriculating student decide to enroll in a program at a later date, a new program application must be submitted along with all required documentation for admission into the program. A $60 application fee (non-refundable) will be charged.
How to Submit Documents
Submit your completed application and $60 application fee (if applicable) PRIOR to submitting required documents.
Official transcripts from previously attended institutions must be mailed in a sealed envelope directly to
PO Box 275
Whitethorn, CA 95589
or sent by secure electronic transfer straight from the previously attended institution to the [email protected].
PLEASE NOTE: If your degree is from a school outside the United States, you will need to have your degree translated (if it is not in English) and evaluated by a service such as World Education Services (recommended). If you prefer, you may also use any service recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES®). Foreign transcript evaluations will add about 3-5 weeks to the application process.
Hawthorn University Catalog
You are encouraged to review the catalog prior to signing an enrollment agreement. You are also encouraged to review the School Performance Fact Sheet. If you cannot open the PDF, you might need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.