Skip to content

State Authorization

State Authorization Regulations for Online (Distance) Education

Hawthorn University is currently authorized, or no authorization is required to accept students from the states listed below.

Click here for Hawthorn University’s State Authorization Form outlining our status in each state.  For additional information on State Authorization Regulations for Distance Education, please contact an admissions representative.

Hawthorn University is accredited by the Distance Education Accreditation Commission and approved by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.

Hawthorn University is currently enrolling students from the following states into all programs:

Arizona Idaho Missouri South Dakota West Virginia
California Indiana Nebraska Tennessee
Colorado Kentucky Nevada Texas
Connecticut Louisiana New Hampshire Vermont
Delaware Maine Ohio Virginia
Hawaii Mississippi South Carolina Washington

Hawthorn University is currently only enrolling students in certificate programs in the following states:

New Jersey
North Carolina

If your state is not listed above, you are not currently eligible for enrollment.  As state approval is an ongoing process, please check this page routinely to see if your state has been added.

If you are enrolling in Hawthorn’s programs, we urge you to review the regulations regarding authorization of your specific state. If you become a Hawthorn student and intend to move to a new state, avoid interruption in your enrollment status by ensuring Hawthorn’s programs are approved in the new state. Regulations vary by state and could change at any time. All students must update their records regarding a change of address if moving to a different state.

For a listing of contact information for each state’s regulatory agency, please click here.

No certification or license is required in California to be a holistic nutritionist or health educator, but disclosure of educational credential is required. No determination has been made that Hawthorn’s curriculum meets other states’ educational requirements for certification or licensure.

Some US states require a license to practice nutrition. Check the laws in your state regarding the use of titles such as “nutritionist” and “nutrition counselor” which are legislated in some states. Consult with the Council of Holistic Health Educators a national 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization where you can learn about nutrition practice laws in your state. Source:

The following link contains information on professional certification after graduation:
Post Graduate Professional Certification